Quick snack led to 999 call

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

A woman who wanted a quick snack of cheese on toast meant a callout for Ashford fire crews after she left her cooking under the grill and it caught light.

Two fire engines were sent to the house in Oak Tree Road where they found the cooker alight.

Ashford Watch Manager Mark Thomas said: “We believe the woman had put cheese on toast under the grill but then went to talk to a neighbour.

“Fortunately they heard the smoke alarm sounding and she quickly called us out. This shows how easily unattended cooking can potentially lead to a serious incident in the kitchen but it also once again proves the worth of smoke alarms and we hope it serves as a reminder to others.”

The woman, believed to be in her 50s, was unharmed.

0 comments

NEWS WHERE YOU LIVE

News, sport, video, blogs and local information
where you live...

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 8°C

Five-day forecast

Travel News

No current major incidents

e-Edition CLICK TO READ NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, GUIDES AND NEWSLETTERS ONLINE


  • Kent on Sunday


    Kent on Saturday


    Kent Life


    Kent Bride


  • VK Rural 1


    VK Rural 2


    VK Rural 3


    VK Coastal 1


    VK Coastal 2


    VK Coastal 3


  • Your Health West


    Your Health East


    Community Health


    Isle


    Taste of Kent


  • Orchid


    Education for Kent